Preparing for a Transition:
On average, most of us will change jobs 10 times during our careers.
Successful leadership transitions start with knowing who you are, and the difference that you can make on your team and in your organization – and then turning those insights into action.
Whether you are currently in a transition or wanting to be ready for your next one, here are 15 indispensable quotes to help you hit the ground running.
1. “Stepping up to leadership is more like becoming a great chef than following a recipe. The process changes who you are in ways that you might not anticipate.” —Herminia Ibarra
2. “Change comes more from managing the journey than from announcing the destination.” —William Bridges
3. “You are not born with a fixed amount of resilience. Like a muscle, you can build it up, draw on it when you need it. In that process, you will figure out who you really are — and you just might become the very best version of yourself.” —Sheryl Sandberg
4. “Nothing will work unless you do.” —Maya Angelou
5. “Leaders must earn the trust of their teams, their organizations, and their stakeholders before attempting to engage their support.” —Warren G. Bennis
6. “People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe.” —Simon Sinek
7. “The best leaders don’t know just one style of leadership—they’re skilled at several, and have the flexibility to switch between styles as the circumstances dictate.” —Daniel Goleman
8 .“Trust is built in very small moments.” —Brené Brown
9. “Fast moving work environments need people who know how to team, people who have the skills and the flexibility to act in moments of potential collaboration when and where they appear.” —Amy Edmondson
10. “Our number one priority is company culture. Our whole belief is that if you get the culture right, most of the other stuff (like delivering great customer service or building a long-term enduring brand) will just happen naturally on its own.” —Tony Hsieh
11. “A vision is not just a picture of what could be; it is an appeal to our better selves, a call to become something more.” —Rosabeth Moss Kanter
12. “Feedback is the breakfast of champions.” —Ken Blanchard
13. “By recording your dreams and goals on paper, you set in motion the process of becoming the person you most want to be. Put your future in good hands—your own.” —Mark Victor Hansen
14. “There are always new, grander challenges to confront, and a true winner will embrace each one.” —Mia Hamm
15. “To accomplish great things, we must not only act but also dream. Not only plan but also believe.” —Anatole France